Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"So... what's your story, kid?"

Behind every great band, there is a great crew. And behind every great (married) roadie, there is a great wife. And I mean a great wife...

           My name is Kara and I'm a makeup artist living in the fishbowl of Los Angeles, married to my lighting designer husband. I wanted to put my voice out into the universe and be an open hand (and ear) to anyone who might be on a similar adventure as I am. The life of being married to a touring roadie. Some people try to compare it to being an army wife, but the only similarity is that you're husbands gone. Touring in the music industry is a completely different beast.
I'd like to let you in on our story so you can get to know me a little bit.
I am in my mid 20's and am originally from the central valley of California. I come from a lower middle class family with good morals and respect for other people. I have an older brother, 2 awesome parents and couldn't ask for better "family in-laws."
After I graduated high school, I decided to go to massage therapy school instead of college. I've never been the type to be able to sit behind a desk or work a normal 8-5pm, Monday-Friday job. I've always danced to the beat of my own drum and been influenced by the arts. After massage therapy school, I wanted to get out. I needed a way to travel and have an experience and since I was broke, cruise ships became the answer. I worked for Steiner Leisure. A London based company that places staff in the day spas on all of the ships on the seas. I ended up getting placed on a Royal Caribbean ship, Explorer of the seas, and had the time of my life. Eventually, I quit the spa job and decided that cruise staff was the position I wanted to do. So I went back out and met my Irish husband, working on the Radiance of the seas. He was programming, designing and running lights for all of the shows and guest performers that would come onboard and perform. We both were into tattoo's and rock and roll. It was love.
Since then, he moved over from Ireland, we got married and after struggle after struggle, we finally made the "big move" to LA to work in the business. This month, we've been married 3 years (with kids on the distant horizon).

Since my other half is from a European country, he had a hard time adjusting at first to things here. The work ethic and mind-set is very different here. We work long hours and now that we have cell phones, we're constantly on stand by. Not to mention, we have selfish tendencies; a lot of people will step on anyone to further themselves and their career. He's worked for a couple of different companies and has busted his ass for the last 10 years, carving out his place in this industry.  I've never seen someone so loyal and dedicated to their craft as I have my husband. Not only is he a great lighting designer, but he can program, tech, rig, draw plots, knows video, sound, electricity, and can beat any load-in/load-out time record. Last August, he went out on his first tour in the states working for a lighting and video company. It was only supposed to last 6-8 weeks, and ended up lasting 3 1/2 months. Since then, he's come home and the talk of working freelance has begun.



So I write, as I start my journey as a roadie wife. You'll read tales of drunken 1am phone calls, never-ending boy's nights, random tattoo's and (the dreaded) strip-club conversation. All of this, while holding down the fort on the home front and trying to carve out my own niche in this town.

Today, he's in Huston, TX on tour with Coheed & Cambria. He's been gone for 1 week and has 5 more to go, before their last show here in LA, at the Nokia theater.
Today, I am going to carve out my personal watermelon and make jungle juice, for a party of 1.


Tip #1: Get to know your nearest liquor store owner. Asking if he has a frequent flyer program is not a bad idea either.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you girl! My husband is an LD, and we're based in Nashville. I hate it when he is touring. We don't have kids either, and I'm a freelance photographer.... So I am home by myself all the time. I hate it. There are days when the only person I talk to is our dog. Then you get a phone call and you have to hear about a strip club or random bar. UGH.
    Anyways, don't stop writing! Someone needs to tell the world about how crazy roadie wifedom is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! How are you and your adventures of roadie wife life these days?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete